Three or four hours before exercise, a larger meal is recommended. Have a small snack such as fruit when it is closer to the activity. This will provide your body the last-minute bump.
Tips to Take With You from SCAN
- Experiment with foods and drinks in practice and lower level competitions to determine the best timing and your tolerance for pre-exercise foods.
- Practice! Figuring out what works best for you will boost confidence in eating before exercise.
- Fuel muscles early with easily digestible carbohydrate-rich foods and beverages for training or competition later in the day.
After physical activities, since lots of sweat losses, consuming fluids will be vital for body.
- Sports drinks that contain carbohydrate and electrolytes are helpful to replace elements that are lost through sweat
- Calculate your sweat rate and sweat losses to determine your fluid needs
This information is brought to you by ISO Student Health Insurance, ISOA.ORG, the sole provider of Compass Health Insurance Plans and leading international student insurance provider.