It’s the season of hot and cold, when the weather is consistently changing and our bodies have to quickly figure how to protect us from becoming sick. Our immune system is very important and what we put in our bodies can either help or weaken this system. Just as how our bodies are different, so are our cultures. Here are some of the different ways that people from different cultures and countries from around the world use natural remedies to build and protect their immune system.
- Astragalus (Huang Qi)- This herb helps with vitality, strengthen your immunity system and should you ever have a cold, this can be your go to herb for help. Drink it as a tea to warm and strengthen you on some cold Fall nights.
- Atractylodes (Bai Zhu) – This natural root is available in the form of tea, powder or extraction and is helpful whenever you are feeling stuffy with the increasingly cold weather. The best part is that it reduces the chances of getting the flu or the cold.
- Raab (Warm Millet Soup) – Made from pearl millet flour, ginger and ajwain, this soup helps to boost your energy levels, immune system and if you have chest congestion. If you are not a fan of teas, this is an alternative option. So have a bowl and your body will thank you during finals week!
- Chyawanprash- If you are not a fan of soups and teas but like something sweet every now and again, this is an option for you! Home to a rich source of Vitamin A, this jam slowly builds up your body’s strength, helps with your digestion and metabolism. Spread it on your bread or crackers and build your immune system one chew at a time! Or you can add it to some hot milk and drink it before bed!
Europe: (Britain, Central and Southern Europe)
- Elderberry- A favorite among countries in Britain and counties in central and south Europe, this immune protector plant is usually turned into syrup for easy digestion and plays host to antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. It helps with colds, flu and builds your body’s resistance to different viral infections. Have it has a jelly(jam) or include it in a pie recipe. Yummy for you and great for your body.
Mediterranean and Middle Eastern regions
- Olive Leaf- This has been used for many years in these regions to increase energy levels, decrease blood pressure and steady blood sugar levels. It also helps with boosting one’s immune system. Another immune boosting tea to warm and protect your body this season!
South America region
- Pau D'Arco- This South American herb not only detoxifies your body of impurities and reduces joint pain; it also helps with building up your body’s defense. Drink it as a tea or include the extract in your food and build your strength!